Contrary to the lack of posts on my blog, I’m still alive. I apologize for not writing much, but things have been so busy lately. At $work, I’m working on rolling out a forklift upgrade in a lab environment that involves:
- Upgrade our application servers from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10.
- Upgrade Java from 1.4.2 to 5. Yes, I know that 5 is already EOL, but our API vendor runs on Weblogic 9, which is constrained to Java 5.
- Speaking of Weblogic, upgrade that from 8.1 to 9.2.
- Upgrade our ecommerce API from version 6.x to 10.x
- Upgrade our Apache frontends from 2.0 to 2.2 - Done!
- Implement a couple of Nginx boxes as a static HTTP servers, allowing our Apache servers to focus proxying and URL rewriting. All of this of course needs to happen in parallel with the normal firefighting ;-) Oh, and I’m trying to get Puppet up and running in the lab in all my free time. On the other hand at $home, I’ve been doing a lot of work with Drupal. I’m working on designing a photography site for a friend. Heck, I’ve even had some code committed to the node gallery contrib module! I’ve got two books I’ve yet to crack open, Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual, and Pro Drupal Develop ment. I’m trying to read through Pro Git, and Pulling Strings with Puppet. All of this productivity came to a screeching halt last Friday, when I got my Motorola Droid. The best part about my HTC running Windows Mobile was that it kept me in the dark about how fricking cool a real smartphone can be! As part of my new addiction to my phone, I caved in and signed up for a Facebook account – don’t worry, I didn’t give them my email password, so no one will get any spam. Feel free to hit me up though! I have to admit, the sheer number of users is impressive; but it’s the percentage of those that are actively using it every day that is incredible. So, stay tuned. There’s a lot of good posts coming - book reviews, a Droid/Android review (with an SA POV of course), and who knows, maybe some Drupal related stuff.